Harvard University presents the Harvard University Academy Scholarship which is currently open to receive submissions. Every year, four to six Academy Scholars are appointed two-year appointments at the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. The Academy Scholars are a selected community of persons with creativity, initiative, inquisitiveness, and originality, whose work in places or regions outside of the US or Canada shows promise as great careers in major academia or international institutions.
Academy Scholars are nominated for a 2-year, in-residence, postdoctoral fellowship at The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. They get considerable monetary and research support to carry out sustained projects of research and/or access accessory training in their selected fields and areas. The Senior Scholars, a notable group of senior Harvard University faculty members, act as mentors to the Academy Scholars to help them attain their intellectual potential.
Harvard University Academy Scholarship – Summary
Application Deadline: October 1st, 2022
Eligible Countries: International
Award Type: PhD, Postdoctoral
Number of Awards: 4 to 6
Duration of Program: 2 years
Eligibility for Harvard University Academy Scholarship
To be eligible for Harvard University Academy Scholarship, applicants must satisfy the requirements below:
- Submissions are welcome from competent individuals regardless of their to nationality, sex, or race.
- The race for these scholarship is open only to fresh PhD (or comparable professional school degree) beneficiaries and doctoral applicants in the social sciences or law.
- Those still pursuing a PhD should have finished their routine training, and be well along in the writing of their theses before applying to become Academy Scholars. If you have finished a PhD program, the PhD completion date must be in 3 years of the October 1st application closing date.
- For candidates applying for the October 1st, 2021 deadline, you must have finished your PhD or equivalent after September 30th, 2018.
- The Selection Board considers all candidates in one applicant pool.
Benefits of Harvard University Academy Scholarship
Beneficiaries of Harvard University Academy Scholarship will be offered the benefits below:
- Recipients will get yearly allowance of $70,000.
- If chosen before earning the PhD, the Scholars will get yearly stipend of $31,000 until granted the PhD.
- This allowance is supplemented with funding for seminar and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage. Some teaching is allowed but not required.
How to Apply for Harvard University Academy Scholarship
To apply for Harvard University Academy Scholarship, applicants should follow the guidelines below:
- All application items need to be submitted by 1st of October. Late applications will not be accepted.
- The accomplished application will include:
- Cover letter which concisely states the candidate’s academic field, country or region of specialization, and proposed research topic.
- Curriculum vitae or resume which includes list of publications,
- 2500 word research proposal which includes intellectual objectives, and planned methodological and disciplinary work.
- PhD program transcript (a copy).
- 3 recommendation letters (uploaded via the online application).
Letters should be addressed to the “Selection Board.”
Recommendation Letters need to be uploaded by the deadline, October 1st.
All aspects of the application, comprising the 3 recommendation letters, are submitted online as pdf documents. Inquiries should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants can include footnotes, endnotes, and/or bibliographies in your planed research statement, but they are not compulsory. If references are not given, they will not matter concerning the 2500-word maximum for the research statement.
The program requires no copy of published papers or abstracts as part of the application procedure. Do not add them to your submission.
Concerning transcripts from international universities, the program reviewers read many submissions from those at international universities, and demand as much transcript-like official documentation as the Registrar at your university can provide. For all graduate work, both for the Master’s and PhD programs in which you have been or are presently enrolled; your institution most likely gets these requests often and can provide the required paperwork to you upon request.
To apply and inquire further about Harvard University Academy Scholarship, please visit the official website.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here.